myDevo Nov 19
1 Peter 2
Peter describes how we should desire for the Word of God, and how we grow within ourselves once we have experienced the Word of God in our life.
Living stone. Jesus is the first Living Stone, rejected by the people. And we are His living stones connected to Jesus, building ourselves for God, abstaining from sinful desires, respecting others, doing what is good and obeying authorities set upon us by the Lord.
1. 2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,
2. 3 now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.
3. 4 As you come to him, the living Stone–rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him
4. — 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
5. 6 For in Scripture it says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.”
6. 9 But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.
7. 10 Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God;
8. once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
9. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.
10. 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.
11. 24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.
12. 25 For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
1. 1 Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind.
2. 2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, –
3. 11 Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul.
4. 12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.
5. 13 Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, 14 or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.
6. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.
7. 16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;
8. live as servants of God.
9. 17 Show proper respect to everyone:
10. Love the brotherhood of believers,
11. fear God,
12. honor the king.
13. 18 Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh.
14. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
1. 7 Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, “The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone, ” 8 and, “A stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall.” They stumble because they disobey the message–which is also what they were destined for
The Lord is good, and His word is good. When we have tasted the Word of God, we see His goodness and we should want for more of the Lord in our life. When we receive the Lord in our life, we become the chosen ones, bring glory to the Lord, and precious to Him who created us. Here we learn that is important to cleanse our thoughts and live good lives, inspite of all the evil around us, for when they see the good that we do, they, too will glorify the Lord. We should respect the authorities, and follow in the steps that the Lord has paved for us.